Employment Type: Full Time, Permanent, Union
Business Unit: Nixon Bros Truck Repair Ltd.
Location: Victoria, British Columbia
Reporting to: Operations Manager
Wage Rate: $38.30/hour plus 11% vacation pay
Hours of Work: 40 hours/week
Work Setting: Industrial
Number of Job Vacancies: 2
Nixon Bros Truck Repair Ltd, has an exciting and immediate opening for a full-time Red Seal Commercial Truck Mechanic in Victoria, British Columbia. They will have the ability to troubleshoot major and minor mechanical problems, as well as have the ability to repair and adjust all necessary mechanical components. Further, work assignments will be received in the form of verbal or written work orders, but the employee is expected to determine the nature and extent of needed repairs. We offer competitive wages, opportunities for overtime, a comprehensive benefits package, professional development, and a great company culture.
What we offer:
- Competitive pay
- Union benefit package plus pension
- Professional development and training
- Educational advancement and courses
- Provide routine maintenance;
- Check all commercial trucks for proper performance and inspect equipment to detect faults and malfunctions;
- Train and mentor apprentices;
- Use computerized and other testing equipment to determine extent of repair that is required;
- Adhere to workplace safety policies, regulations and compliance;
- Communicate any unsafe conditions or accidents/injuries in a timely manner to the supervisor in order to facilitate prompt correction or reporting;
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service;
- Perform mechanical repairs on equipment in the shop and in the field;
- Operate automotive servicing equipment;
- Installation of new and added-on equipment;
- Electrical and hydraulic troubleshooting and diagnostics;
- Accurate completion of work orders and time cards;
- Repair cable-operated working attachments, winches, compressors, pumps, electric generators, etc.;
- Test repaired equipment for proper performance;
- Keep detailed and accurate maintenance reports and documentation;
- Maintain a working knowledge of changes in technology and repair techniques;
- Other duties within the scope of the position, as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Must hold a Journeyperson's certificate, or have Red Seal in Commercial Transport;
- 5+ years experience in a similar or related role
- Completion of college/CEGEP/vocational or technical training;
- Possess a valid driver's license; Class 3 with air endorsement driver's license preferred;
- Ability to coach and mentor less experienced mechanics a must;
- Proven mechanical abilities including schematics and diagnostics;
- Experience with routine maintenance operations.
- Being Certified in Commercial Vehicle Inspection would be considered an asset
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with attention to detail;
- Ability to set goals and manage multiple projects and initiatives;
- Ability to work under pressure and adapt to changing business needs;
- Mature, professional and optimistic attitude;
- Highly flexible, with solid interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment;
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing;
- Able to work well under pressure;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Able to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times.
- Physical ability to lift up at least 50lbs;
- Travel to off-site locations may be required;
- Safety equipment will be required, e.g. steel-toed safety boots, safety glasses/goggles, etc.
- Overtime as required;
- Hazards associated with the trade;
- Work both indoors and outdoors.
We welcome applications from all backgrounds and cultures to join our team (including self-identifying Indigenous, status, non-status, Metis, and Inuit and non-Indigenous cultures). If you have any questions regarding this position or applying for the position, please reach out and email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. We want to support all applicants during this process. We encourage all indigenous candidates to self identify during the application process.
Submission Deadline: Open until filled
Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
We are looking forward to connecting with you!