Employment Type: Full Time, Temporary, Seasonal position from May 2022 until November 2022, with opportunity to extend
Business Unit: Ellice Recycling
Location: Victoria, British Columbia
Reporting to: Foreman
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week, overtime as required
Wage Rate: $20.00/hour
Work Setting: Industrial
Number of Vacancies: 1
Ellice Recycle, a Ralmax Group of Companies, has an exciting and immediate opening for a full-time Recycle Yard Labourer in Victoria, British Columbia. Under general supervision, the Labourer performs a variety of tasks in the recycling centre. The successful candidate will be able and willing to receive on-the-job training to gain greater knowledge of the kinds of grades of recyclable materials and more advanced skills in the operations of forklifts.
What We Offer:
- Competitive pay
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Great company culture
- Sort a variety of recycled materials, such as concrete, drywall, plastics, and wood; sort metals to separate out high-grade metals, such as copper, brass, and aluminium, for recycling
- Operate forklift in customer areas; operate compactors
- Keep recycle yard clean by sweeping, raking, picking up loose debris
- Inspect vehicles hauling recycled materials to determine the type of materials; calculate weights of materials; record information on materials received or prepared for shipment to processing companies
- Direct customers and drivers to proper loading/unloading areas; assist customers and drivers with unloading and loading recycling materials; direct the work of contract labourers assigned to recycling activities
- Adhere to workplace safety policies, regulations and compliances
- Communicate any unsafe conditions or accidents/injuries in a timely manner to the supervisor in order to facilitate prompt correction or reporting
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service
- Safely operate power tools
- Other duties within the scope of the position, as assigned.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) preferred
- Valid class 5 BC drivers' license is an asset
- Must be eligible to work in Canada
- Knowledge and understanding of OHS, WCB regulations and legislation
- Willingness to participate in regular training programs and courses
- Current WHMIS Certification
- Forklift Certificate is an asset
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to communicate, read, and understand/follow directions in English
- Adheres to all safety rules
- Ability to operate a forklift and other recycling equipment is an asset
- Desire to learn how to operate and a variety of recycling equipment, such as bucket loaders, utility loaders, and wood grinder/chippers and how to identify different grades of metals
- Ability to work under pressure and adapt to changing business needs
- Highly flexible, with solid interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment
- Good knowledge of hand and power tools
- Able to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times
- Perform moderately heavy physical labour involving the full range of body movements including reaching, bending, grasping, climbing, and lifting.
- Must be able to stand, crouch, kneel and/or sit for extended periods of time, able to lift up to 50 lbs, climb ladders and work from elevation, and walk on varied terrain
- Regularly perform repetitive tasks
- Ability to work within confined spaces
- Possess manual dexterity
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
- Must possess a current and valid driver's license
- Must be eligible to work in Canada
- Travel to off-site locations may be required
- Safety equipment will be required, e.g. steel-toed safety boots, safety glasses/goggles, etc.
- Overtime as required
- Hazards associated with the trade
- Work both indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions
We welcome applications from all backgrounds and cultures to join our team (including self-identifying Indigenous, status, non-status, Metis, and Inuit and non-Indigenous cultures). If you have any questions regarding this position or applying for the position, please reach out and email us at: email@example.com. We want to support all applicants during this process.
Submission Deadline: Open until filled
Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
We are looking forward to connecting with you!